Marijuana has been decriminalized in New Jersey. Does that mean that smoking will be an option in Atlantic City casinos?
If folks needed another reason besides legal online casinos to come to New Jersey, they’ve now got it!
Let’s look at the new law and current casino guidelines to see what we can expect for 2021.
New Jersey’s New Law
New Jersey residents voted to decriminalize possession of marijuana up to six ounces.
As of November 16, 2020, the New Jersey State Senate passed the bill legalizing this amount by a vote of 29-4.
What does this mean?
- Possibility of smoking marijuana at casinos
- Thousands of records of people with nonviolent marijuana offenses could be cleared
- Increased traffic into New Jersey from bordering states
What is still illegal:
- Transporting marijuana across state lines
- Possession of more than 6 ounces
Can you Smoke in Atlantic City Casinos?
As of the time of writing, smoking (anything!) on casino floors is not allowed in Atlantic City. This is due to COVID-19 constrictions.
But usually, smoking is allowed on casino floors in Atlantic City casinos.
Will You Be Able to Smoke Marijuana in Atlantic City Casinos?
As of now, no casinos have made a statement allowing marijuana use in their casinos. No specific statement has been issued about the indoor use of recreational marijuana.
The use of marijuana indoors would be up to the discretion of the casino, it seems.
- “Marijuana In New Jersey: State Senate Passes Bill Legalizing Possession Of 6 Ounces Of Pot,” CBS New York, November 16, 2020. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/11/16/marijuana-in-new-jersey-bill-legalizing-recreational-pot-for-adults-21-and-older-faces-full-senate-vote/
- “Finally, New Jersey Might Be Cooler Than New York,” New York Times, Nov. 16, 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/16/style/new-jersey-marijuana-.html