Online Casino Games in New Jersey
A multitude of online casino games are available to New Jersey players, but learning all the rules can be confusing.
Interested in trying your luck on some games of chance? Or are you looking to play more strategy-based online casino games? NJcasino.com is prepared with the best online gambling tips. Use our game guides to improve your video poker strategy and find tips on how to play blackjack online free. Want to know where to find free slots or free craps? We've got you covered.
- Online Slots
- Explaining Return to Player
- Online Roulette
- Online Blackjack
- Online Craps
- Online Bingo
- Online Video Poker
- Online Baccarat
Slots games are over a century old, dating back to the late 1800s. They used to be comprised of three reels and one payline. Now, we have the luxury of online slots created with high-quality technology, offering amazing graphics and games with over 100 paylines. Some online slots in NJ online casinos offer exciting bonuses as well. Most of these NJ online casinos even offer free slots for new players to try out.
How to Play Online Slots
For those who are new to online slots games, the name of the game is matching symbols. A player will choose the number of lines they wish to play while setting the amount they would like to bet for each line. Sometimes the paylines are fixed and other times, players can choose it themselves.
The majority of online slots games you see in New Jersey will show five reels along with several rows of symbols. A player should try to match several of the symbols on a live payline in order to win. Different symbols have different values, and these values will affect the payout. The reels will spin until the spin is completed, and then light up the matching symbols and winning paylines.
There are a few different ways a player can spin.
- Click the “spin” button in the game window
- Click the “bet max” button
- Select the “auto-spin” feature which will automatically play a number in spins
There are two different systems to determine winning spins in online casinos slots games.
- Paylines - The majority of online slots use this method. Symbols must follow an active payline, appearing from left to right.
- 243 Ways to Win - 243 refers to the total amount of combinations that could turn the players spin into a winning one. This method awards payouts to the player when matching symbols appear on adjacent reels. It does not matter what the reel positions are. These games tend to be simpler and easier for the player to follow on the screen.
243 Ways to Win usually hit more frequently; however, Paylines tend to have better payouts.
What are Online Slots Bonus Rounds?
In online slots games, bonus rounds can be activated, offering huge payouts and rewards. Different titles come equipped with different features and bonuses. Bonus rounds are activated when certain symbols appear on certain reels. Some bonus types are common in NJ online casino games and appear more often than others.
Popular Types of Slots Bonuses
- Free Spin Bonus - The majority of NJ online slot games offer free spin bonuses. Depending on the symbols, players will receive a certain amount of free slots spins. During these bonus rounds, players may see a multiplier. When a multiplier is applied, the winning payouts are boosted significantly.
- Bonus Wheels - Bonus wheels are marked with different sections of prizes, including multipliers, credit wins, free spins, and progressive jackpots.
- Pick’em Bonuses - When a pick’em bonus is activated, a special screen portrays objects, which players will select to reveal hidden prizes.
- Random Bonuses - Random bonuses can be activated unexpectedly, during or after a player’s spin. It can randomly turn a losing spin into a winning spin.
RTP (return to player) rates vary amongst online casino games. It is important to know these percentages before you start to play so that you understand the likelihood of winning that particular game. The RTP rate is generally the amount of money a player can expect to win back from a game throughout a period of time.
Let's say a player deposits $100 in a slot which has a 95% RTP. That player makes 100 spins at $1/spin. On average, over a long period of time, a player can expect to win back $95.
RTP rates in slot games tend to vary depending on the titles, whereas popular NJ online casino table games have a more consistent RTP - most of the time sitting at 98%.
French for little wheel, the game Roulette was born more than two centuries ago in Paris and remains just as popular today as it was then. Online roulette moves at a much quicker pace than live roulette, while the wheel is based on a random number generator.
There are two versions of this online casino game: American Roulette and European Roulette. Online roulette games differ in the number of zeros on the table. In American Roulette, the game wheel consists of slots numbering 1-36 as well as pockets for 0 and 00. European roulette does not have a 00.
How to Play Online Roulette
In online roulette, players will navigate to the roulette table in order to select their bet. By clicking the “spin” button, the dealer spins the ball around the roulette wheel. The player will either lose their bet or be paid for any wins.
Many online roulette tables feature a customizable bet layout as well as an autoplay selection. This allows for maximum convenience and speeds up the game
The main goal in roulette is to predict where the ball will fall. There are many betting options which don't require the player to choose any specific number in order to win the bet. Two betting categories in roulette include outside bets and inside bets.
Online Roulette Betting Types
Online roulette has a number of betting types you can make. Here's the breakdown:
- Outside Bets - Outside bets give the player a better chance of winning. Outside bets are the series of bets pictured outside of the numbers on the table. These bets refer to specific sets of numbers and colors. A player will lose any of these bets if the ball lands on a 0 or 00.
- Low or High Numbers - If a player chooses low numbers, they are betting that the ball will land on numbers from 1-18. If the player bets on high numbers, they are betting that the ball will land on numbers from 19-36. This bet offers a payout of 1 to 1.
- Red or Black Numbers - If a player chooses either red or black numbers, they are betting that the ball will land on the color that they choose. The player loses if the ball lands on the wrong color or on a 0 or 00 pocket. This bet has a payout of 1 to 1 as well.
- Odd or Even Numbers - If a player chooses either odd or even numbers, they are betting that the winning pocket will be either odd or even. This bet also has a roulette payout of 1 to 1.
- Columns - The layout of the roulette table appears with three columns containing twelve numbers in each. If a player chooses a "columns" bet, they are betting on the ball landing on one of the numbers in their chosen column. This bet has a roulette payout of 2 to 1.
- Dozens - If a player bets on a dozen, they are choosing one of three options. They can choose the first dozen numbers (1-12), the second dozen numbers (13-24), or the third dozen numbers (25-36). This bet has a roulette payout of 2 to 1 as well.
- Inside Bets - Players can choose specific numbers or groups of numbers inside the roulette design to wager on. These bets have a lower probability of hitting, however, they do offer higher payouts.
- Straight-up - Any bet on a single number in roulette is called a Straight-up. This has a very low winning probability but offers a payout of 35 to 1.
- Split Bet - When a player places a chip on the roulette table in between two neighboring numbers, they are betting on the ball landing on either of the two numbers. This is called a split bet. Split bets offer payouts of 17 to 1.
- Street Bet - A roulette player can place their chip on the edge of a row, betting on the ball to land on any of the three numbers in that row. This bet pays out at 11 to 1.
- Corner bet - Players can make a bet in a corner on four numbers together, which makes a square. This is also known as a square bet or a quarter bet. This bet offers a roulette payout of 8 to 1.
- Five-number bet - The only five-number bet that a player can choose in roulette is on the numbers 1, 2, 3, 0, and 00. In order to make a five-number bet, the player places the chip on the outside corner line in between the numbers 1 and 0. This bet offers different odds and a different roulette payout than any of the other bets in roulette. A five-number bet offers a roulette payout of 6 to 1 and it also has a higher house edge. This is the worst bet that a player could make on the roulette table.
- Six-number bet - A player can make a six-number bet for a roulette payout of 5 to 1. This bet covers two adjacent rows of numbers. It is also known as a line bet.
With the exception of a five-number bet, the house edge on all inside bets and outside bets remains the same in roulette.
Blackjack is one of the most popular online casino games in the world. The rules in online blackjack are somewhat easy to learn and the game can be played with a pretty fast pace. Once you learn the game and start to develop your blackjack strategy, the game really gets fun!
How to Play Online Blackjack
The object of the game is to beat the dealer’s hand while keeping your points below 21.
At the start of each game, after placing their bets, players will receive two cards each, face up. The dealer receives two cards as well, however, one is face down. Players will use mental math and knowledge of probability to decide their course of action for making their next move. The player then must decide if they wish to:
- Stand - Stay with just two cards.
- Hit - Ask for another card from the dealer. Players can continue drawing additional cards until they bust, or go over 21.
- Double Down - double the bet and receive one additional card.
- Split - separate their hand into two separate hands while doubling the bet. The dealer will create two hands with the original pair, adding one card to each. Players then must choose the next course of action for each pair.
- Surrender - Give up half the bet and withdraw.
If a player busts, the house wins the hand and the player loses their bet on that game. If the player stands and the dealer reveals his card to surpass 21, the player will receive even money on their bet. If the dealer and player finish with the same value, the bet gets refunded back to the player. This is known as a “push.”
So you see that the online game follows the familiar rules of the physical casino game.
- Cards 2-9: keep their face value
- 10s, jacks, queens, and kings: 10 points
- Aces: either 1 or 11 (player’s choice)
Ace + 10-valued card gives the player 21 points which is called, “Blackjack.”
Craps, an old game of chance, is a favorite in NJ casinos. Craps is now offered on NJ online casinos, making the experience much more enjoyable for players. You'll find some basic information about craps below, and if you want to learn some more, see our online craps strategy guide.
Beneficial Features of Online Craps
Online craps games offer features that are not available on the brick and mortar versions of the game. Players can adjust the game speed as well as have the luxury of quick and accurate calculations. In online versions of casino games, the wagering minimum is often much lower.
How to Play Online Craps
The rules are simple and the betting options are immense. The course of action is determined by the players choice of bet.
- Pass Line Bets - one of the more popular betting choices. This bet can be placed before the come out roll. If the come-out roll is a 7 or 11, the bet wins and pays even money. If the come-out roll is a 2, 3, or 12 the bet is lost. This is known as “crapping out.” If any other number is rolled, this number becomes the point and the game is considered “on.” From then onward, the player will win when the point is revealed before a 7 and will lose if a 7 is revealed before the point. Any other result will require the game to remain “on” and another roll is made until the bet is settled.
- Don’t Pass Bets - This can be placed when the game is “off.” If the come-out roll is a 2, 3, or 12 the bet wins. The player loses if a 7 or 11 comes out after the roll.
- Come and don't come bets - These bets are the same as the Pass Line and Don't pass bets, however, they can be placed when the game is “on.”
- Odds bets - These bets are based on the other bets. However, odds bets can only be placed when the point has been set and can be removed after every roll.
The version of online bingo played in New Jersey is a 90 ball variant. Playing online bingo in NJ online casinos is extremely easy and the rules to 90 ball bingo are very easy to catch onto.
How to Play Online Bingo
Players can buy up to 60 cards before each round. Obviously, the more cards purchased, the better the player’s winning odds are. Games begin at certain times and players can follow countdown timers in order to participate in predetermined games. Numbers are picked by a random number generator and painted automatically to the player's ticket.
Players have three chances to win a 90 Ball Bingo game. First, players must try filling out a line. Then, they try for two lines, before going for a full house - filling out all numbers on the card. In order to win, a player needs to be the first to achieve these patterns.
Bingo Card Formats
Online bingo cards feature three rows and nine columns with 15 numbers arranged in the spaces. The first column will always show numbers 1 through 9, the second column 10-19, and the third, numbers 80-90. Horizontal lines show five numbers in each, randomly dispersed.
Video poker is the online casino game of choice for many players who enjoy games of skill combined with strategy. Video poker is a great way to practice when you're not facing other poker players at a live table. This online casino game offers some of the best odds in NJ online casinos and tends to be one of the most popular betting games internationally.
There are many variants of online poker, including single-hand and multi-hand games. Single hand games use just one deck and deal one hand at a time. Multi-hand games allow players to play multiple decks during the same hand.
The goal in all variants of online poker remains the same, however - to achieve the highest hand possible. It is important to know the hand values in any poker game.
- Five of a kind - five cards of the same value - must have at least one joker
- Royal flush - highest possible straight with cards of the same suit
- Straight flush - five cards in sequence, must be the same suit
- Four of a kind - four cards of the same value
- Full house - three of a kind in combination with a pair
- Flush - five cards of the same suit that don't make a straight
- Straight - five cards in sequence, not in the same suit
- Three of a kind - three cards of the same value
- Two pair - two cards of the same value, plus another two cards of a different value
- One pair - two cards of the same value
- High card - five unrelated cards
You will see several different variations of online poker in NJ online casino sites. These are the most common.
- Jacks or better
- Bonus Poker
- Double Bonus Poker
- Deuces Wild
Baccarat is a casino game of chance with a simple structure. Like blackjack, you want to reach a certain number (9 in baccarat, not 21 as in blackjack). Unlike blackjack, you can't bust. If you go over a value of 9, then 10 is subtracted from your sum. The value of the cards is slightly different in baccarat, however. All numbered cards 2-9 have a value equal to the number printed on them. All the other cards (10, J, Q, K, and A) are valued at 0.
If you have a 7 and 5, then your total would be 12, but is reduced by 10 points to a value of 2 (which is a very weak hand).
The simplicity and the high element of chance make this casino game particularly exciting!
Betting Strategies in Baccarat
You have three basic ways you can bet in baccarat:
The odds of betting on the banker are slightly better than betting on the player. A tie bet is very unlikely (less than 10% in a game), although it pays out at 8 to 1. You can learn more about baccarat strategy in our baccarat guide.
As you see, there are hundreds and hundreds of online casino games that you can play 100% legally. Most NJ online casinos have some version of nearly every online casino game, while some have more than others. Why not try a variation on an old favorite to give you a new perspective on the game?